infoBets: Free Betting Daily Tips, Bet Advice, Soccer Predictions, Dropping Odds, Statistics Table, Football Live Centre, Fastest Livescore, Live TV, Soccer highlights...
content top
Main » 2013 » May » 8 » Premier League: Wigan 2:3 Swansea

Premier League: Wigan 2:3 Swansea

premier league
Wigan failed to move out of the relegation zone after Swansea City came from behind twice to win 3-2 at the DW Stadium on Tuesday evening.
The hosts dominated the first half and took the lead just before the break through Roger Espinoza. 

But Wigan's defensive frailties were exposed as Angel Rangel and Itay Shechter scored either side of a James McCarthy effort before Dwight Tiendalli snatched the winner.

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez was without left-sided players Jean Beausejour and Maynor Figueroa due to injury, while Gary Caldwell returned as captain. 

Meanwhile, Michael Laudrup gave Swansea skipper Garry Monk a rare Premier League start but Ki Sung-Yeung and Michu were sidelined with injury problems. 

Espinoza gifted the visitors an early chance after his pass towards Paul Scharner was intercepted by Wayne Routledge, but fortunately for him the winger's shot was saved well by Joel.

The Spanish goalkeeper was next to make a mistake though as he picked up a back-pass from Gary Caldwell and Swansea were awarded an indirect free-kick eight yards from goal. 

However, Ashley Williams blasted the ball high over the crossbar while under pressure from 10 Wigan players on the goal-line.

The hosts were awarded a free-kick just outside the Swansea box in the 40th minute but Shaun Maloney put his effort straight at Vorm.. 

Espinoza gave Wigan the advantage on the stroke of half-time with his first goal since joining the club in January. 

Ben Watson's cross to the far post was cut out by Vorm but the Honduras international was on hand to volley home from the edge of the area.

Swansea pushed forward in search of an equaliser after the restart and were back on level terms in the 50th minute when Rangel volleyed past Joel from a superb Routledge cross. 

Wigan immediately regained the lead through McCarthy, who fired under the goalkeeper after a well-weighted through ball from Maloney. 

However, the hosts were pegged back for a second time in the 58th minute when Shechter made the most of a mistake by Caldwell.

Shechter found space on the edge of the area and his effort hit Emmerson Boyce and the post before finding the net.

Wigan were not downbeat after conceding and continued to pile on the pressure, as Caldwell’s header forced a fantastic save from Vorm and substitute Franco Di Santo tried his luck. 

Their efforts up front were not matched in defence though as the visitors went ahead 15 minutes from time following a catalogue of Wigan errors.

McArthur and Espinoza failed to take responsibility for a loose ball inside the area and Tiendalli took advantage to fire past Joel. 

The referee was forced to halt play in the 80th minute after a nasty clash of heads between Vorm and team-mate Ben Davies saw the Dutch goalkeeper stretchered off and replaced by Gerhard Tremmel. 

Arouna Kone tried his luck from range as the home side desperately tried to find an injury-time equaliser but the Welsh club held on to claim three points, keeping Wigan 18th in the table with two games left.
Views: 560


content top