Ancelotti denies Rooney link
Coach Carlo Ancelotti claims it would be 'impossible' for Paris Saint-Germain to sign Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney.
Goal.com revealed in March that the 27-year-old, whose contract expires in 2015, had admitted to team-mates that he may leave Old Trafford this summer.
"Wayne Rooney is one of the best attackers in the world," Ancelotti told reporters.
"I think it will be impossible for PSG to buy him. He is an idol at Manchester United."
Rooney was left out of Manchester United's starting line-up for their Champions League tie against Real Madrid last month, prompting uncertainty over his future at the club, but Sir Alex Ferguson later insisted that
...
Read more »
Category: News
Views: 859
Added: Sky
Date: 16.04.2013 - 20:08
Martinez primed for first City clash, not final
Roberto Martinez insists Wigan's focus is still on securing Premier League status despite reaching the FA Cup final.
Wigan have the chance to lift the trophy for the first when they take on Manchester City at Wembley on May 11.
But the Spaniard insists Wednesday's Premier League clash with Roberto Mancini's men holds the same importance.
"We've got such an important game on Wednesday that there was no time to celebrate (the semi-final win over)," Martinez told Sky Sports.
"When the time comes to pick the competition up again - when the FA Cup final is in front of us - then we'll be able to get into that mood again but I thought that we switched straight back
...
Read more »
Category: News
Views: 746
Added: Sky
Date: 16.04.2013 - 20:06
Benitez sticks to his guns at Chelsea
Chelsea interim manager Rafael Benitez stands by his squad rotation policy, even though his players are against it.
The Spaniard insists resting his players is crucial to their success, but Chelsea stalwarts Frank Lampard and John Terry, both left on the bench for Sunday's FA Cup defeat to Manchester City, have declared they are fit to play the remaining nine fixtures.
"If you analyse our reaction in our second halves we show quality, character and energy so I think that to manage the squad is part of our job," Benitez said.
"You can see that we still have some legs and some determination to win games.
"As you say, we have had a lot of games, and we still ha
...
Read more »
Category: News
Views: 795
Added: Sky
Date: 16.04.2013 - 20:05
Johnson revels in new start
Adam Johnson has revealed how Paolo Di Canio told him victory in the Tyne-Wear derby signalled a new start to his Sunderland career.
The former Manchester City winger scored the second on the way to a historic 3-0 win at St James' Park - their first at the ground of their bitter rivals for 13 years.
And Johnson said Di Canio had a private word with him after the match, telling him how this was a new beginning for him at Sunderland.
"After the game he said to me that this is the start, and that for me personally it’s going to get better and better, that this was the beginning for me at Sunderland," Johnson told The Mirror.
Category: News
Views: 818
Added: Sky
Date: 16.04.2013 - 20:04
Vucinic rejects lazy accusations
Juventus striker Mirko Vucinic has hit out at the selective vision of the Italian media for questioning his work rate.
The Montenegro international has come in for criticism of late from some sections of the national press, who have questioned his level of effort for the Bianconeri.
However, the former Roma forward has refuted the claims and suggested his detractors view the statistics of Juventus' recent defeat to Bayern Munich to gain a little more insight into his commitment.
"We run like crazy at Juventus, but these people do not see it. They told me that I lacked commitment, but if we look at the statistics from the Bayern game you will see that is not true," he told reporters.
Category: News
Views: 733
Added: Sky
Date: 16.04.2013 - 20:02
Wenger reveals rushed Wilshere return
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger admits rushing Jack Wilshere back from injury so the midfielder could play in Saturday's win over Norwich.
The 21-year-old, who was sidelined for the entire 2011/12 campaign, had sat out the Gunners' previous four matches with an ankle injury before making his return at the Emirates Stadium.
Wenger reinstalled Wilshere to his starting 11 sooner than had been expected and the Frenchman concedes the England international was not completely ready for action.
But Wenger insists he was not ignoring the advice of the club's medical staff.
"I rushed Jack back a bit; he was not completely ready," the manager told Arsenal's official webs
...
Read more »
Category: News
Views: 744
Added: Sky
Date: 16.04.2013 - 20:01
Messi passed fit for Bayern semi-final
Lionel Messi is fit to face Bayern Munich in Barcelona's Champions League semi-final first leg on April 23.
The 25-year-old was told at training on Tuesday he would be ready to play against the Bavarians next week with his hamstring problem a thing of the past.
The Argentine has missed Barca's last two Liga matches with the injury, however, he did come off the bench in between Tito Vilanova side's domestic matches to have a major impact in the Liga giant's second leg with Paris Saint-Germain earlier this month.
The Catalunya club were trailing 1-0 when the four-time Ballon d'Or winner was brought off the bench.
He eventually set up Pedro for the crucial equa
...
Read more »
Category: News
Views: 897
Added: Sky
Date: 16.04.2013 - 20:00